Monday, April 23, 2007

The London Paper: See the dumping

TheLondonpaper is accused of dumping thousands of copies as part of an alleged scam to bump up its audience figure claims - see the movie here via You Tube.

Meanwhile, two mysteries:

1. Not one newspaper followed up my report on thelondonpaper editor Stefano Hatfield's policy of not hiring "mature" journalists - in breach of new anti-ageist laws brought in last year. This is probably because every national newspaper is essentially ageist itself. I wonder when the UK government proposes to enforce its legislation as opposed to ticking off the boxes of political correctness?

2. Not one newspaper dared to repeat my authenticated story of Hatfield's affair with Freud's MD Fiona Noble - she being London major Ken Livingstone's PR. While no suggestion was made of any wrong-doing between Livingstone, Hatfield and Noble because of the affair, it is peculiar but predictable that newspapers decide what the public should know as part of the ongoing "oath" of omerta between editors and proprietors. Even mortal enemies dare not squeal.

9 comments:

Walter Ellis said...

If, as you say, there's no suggestion of wrong-doing, what is there to follow up? Without wrong-doing, the story is boy meets girl. Is that a crime now, or is there something you dare not tell us?

Arcati said...

You would have to read the original story for the answer. Clue: Caesar's wife. Search box top left of blog.

Anonymous said...

hatfield is obviously a scum bag of low morals and poor judgement who dumps his family as readily as he dumps trashy newspapers full of freud celebrity spin on the streets of London. what would the Great Green Ken say about all the wasted paper and extra street litter.

Lorenzo said...

> Meanwhile, two mysteries:

1. Not one newspaper followed up my report on thelondonpaper editor Stefano Hatfield's policy of not hiring "mature" journalists - in breach of new anti-ageist laws brought in last year. This is probably because every national newspaper is essentially ageist itself. >

Are you applying for a job at TheLondonpaper, Madame Arcati? ;-)

> 2. Not one newspaper dared to repeat my authenticated story of Hatfield's affair with Freud's MD Fiona Noble - she being London major Ken Livingstone's PR. While no suggestion was made of any wrong-doing between Livingstone, Hatfield and Noble because of the affair, it is peculiar but predictable that newspapers decide what the public should know as part of the ongoing "oath" of omerta between editors and proprietors. >

You'd find plenty of other reasons, if you had any sense of objectivity and/or relativity. For instance:

1. Real journalists (at least those who have a modicum of self-respect) don't rely on the internet for their sources. Here's an interesting article about this big problem:
http://www.ojr.org/ojr/glaser/1058908404.php

2. They think such a trivial story wouldn't be selling enough since it only involves two quite ordinary, unfamous individuals. Mr. Hatfield and Ms. Noble are not Brad and Angelina, after all.

3. The journalists don't constantly have their finger on Arcati's pulse. I even fear most of them don't know Arcati's blog exists. I agree they miss a lot of fun if so, but you should know you're but a pixel in the virtual ocean...

Lorenzo, aka Zackie, a foreign journalist who finds your blog amusing and culturally significant – which, mind you, is not necessarily a compliment.

Just passing by. See you ! :-)

Arcati said...

Thank you Lorenzo, it's always nice to see you leave your carbon trail - it used to be called fart gas, but carbon trail sounds more elegant.

If you were any kind of self-respecting hack yourself, you would know that just about every journalist uses the internet as part of their work. Your other observations are just spurious and lame point scoring - half-digested dollops of random thoughts chucked over the fence to see what happens. Is that what you do for a living?

As for Arcati's pulse, my global daily analytics report tells me all I need to know about the number of visits from major newspaper groups.

So, Lorenzo, back to your dead tree lying sheet where doubtless you peddle your all-knowing condescension to long-suffering readers - if you are a journalist, of course. It's scarcely credible.

Lorenzo said...

> As for Arcati's pulse, my global daily analytics report tells me all I need to know about the number of visits from major newspaper groups. >

I suppose I'm almost obliged to take your word of it... :-)

> So, Lorenzo, back to your dead tree lying sheet where doubtless you peddle your all-knowing condescension to long-suffering readers >

Welcome to my very private fan club!

> - if you are a journalist, of course. It's scarcely credible. >

Well, I understand your skeptical reaction. As a matter of fact, I'm not YOUR kind of journalist (yes, that's possible). But if you want to know, before applying my talent to cultural journalism I had an experience as a gossip columnist at the beginning of my career. Not at all my cup of tea, as you can guess, but at least I learnt enough about the methods to avoid being had by people like you.

Ciao, ragazza, arrivederci presto!

Arcati said...

Ah, a failed gossip writer. That explains it.

Lorenzo said...

Hum, repentant at most. But sometimes that naughty little devil tickles me again, I humbly confess it. Otherwise I wouldn't visit you... :-)

Anonymous said...

There is an editor of a 'Quality' newspaper who seems unable to promote women over a size 10. In fact he likes to surround himself with beautiful people - probably to make up for the fact he is overweight and boorish....